This co-created experience is reserved exclusively for Summer Search participants. From the big apple to the big apple orchards of West Virginia, this program will explore some of the gems of the Cheat River watershed. This trip begins at Blackwater Falls State Park, with a few days of preparations where we will get to know each other, set some community norms, and learn some important skills for living comfortably in the backcountry. On day three, we will begin our backpacking trip, navigating some of the scenic wonders of the Monongahela National Forest for 6 days. The last 5 days of our program will focus on river travel. We will camp on the banks of the Cheat River while stand up paddle boarding, canoeing, and rafting through one of the oldest and most scenic rivers in the eastern United States. On our final days of the program we will have the opportunity to visit Thomas and Davis, WV; two small towns filled with art galleries and small town mountain charm.
No experience is necessary to join the trip. All you need is a curious, open mind and the willingness to learn about yourself.
- Have fun! Participants will get outside and experience outdoor adventures they may or may not have experienced previously.
- Create an intentional community where participants can be themselves.
- Learn technical skills such as canoeing, rafting, and navigation. These skills will prepare participants for future trips with Appalachian Expeditions or on their own.
- Learn leadership and communication skills that will make participants more effective and engaged members of their communities.
- Explore the cultural and natural history of this beautiful region.
Summer Search will provide transportation to and from Blackwater Falls State Park in Davis, WV. Expect a ~7 hour trip on the bus.